Hi everybody this is Jean from total tax and accounting and today I'm gonna talk to you about injured spouse what is an injured spouse so this is from a tax perspective I have filed a joint return with my spouse and then some are all of a refund was taken to pay the spouses tax liability so if that's happened to you you need to file for relief when you become aware that the IRS is intending to take your refund and use it for your spouse's tax bill so you do not you you're going to need to file a form eighty eight fifty seven you're not going to claim innocent spouse okay there's a difference between innocent spouse and I'll put a link to that video we're talking about injured spouse so generally both spouses are responsible for paying the full amount of tax interest in penalties on your joint return however it you could qualify for innocent spouse if you you may be relieved from all are part of the joint liability you qualify from that if any of the following apply if there's an understatement of tax because your spouse permitted income or claimed false deductions or credits and you did not know or have reason to know so there is an understatement of tax and your divorce separated in or log no longer living with your spouse and so given all the facts and circumstances they would not be fair to hold you liable for the tax that's a lot to say but there is a specific process you need to go through if you feel that your refund is used to pay your spouse's liability a fairly common example of this is let's say the husband is a wage earner and so he...
Award-winning PDF software
8379 line 6 Form: What You Should Know
The injured spouse gets 90% of the 10,000 tax refund and 15% of the remaining 5,000.
Online solutions help you to manage your record administration along with raise the efficiency of the workflows. Stick to the fast guide to do Form 8857, steer clear of blunders along with furnish it in a timely manner:
How to complete any Form 8857 online:
- On the site with all the document, click on Begin immediately along with complete for the editor.
- Use your indications to submit established track record areas.
- Add your own info and speak to data.
- Make sure that you enter correct details and numbers throughout suitable areas.
- Very carefully confirm the content of the form as well as grammar along with punctuational.
- Navigate to Support area when you have questions or perhaps handle our assistance team.
- Place an electronic digital unique in your Form 8857 by using Sign Device.
- After the form is fully gone, media Completed.
- Deliver the particular prepared document by way of electronic mail or facsimile, art print it out or perhaps reduce the gadget.
PDF editor permits you to help make changes to your Form 8857 from the internet connected gadget, personalize it based on your requirements, indicator this in electronic format and also disperse differently.